Pennsylvania is the thirty-sixth state to adopt C-PACE legislation in the US and will benefit from the experience of these other states. Some states found that having a single set of program guidelines and a single Program Administrator for the whole states enables the completion of more projects. In a 2017 document called “Practitioners’ Advice in Program Administration for Commercial PACE Programs”, the role of the Program Administrator is to facilitate projects and streamline the financial process for counties. Specifically, the report states, “The C-PACE market benefits from statewide uniformity for efficiency and the possible development of a secondary market.”
To develop the C-PACE program in Pennsylvania, interested public sector organizations have stepped forward including:
- The Keystone Energy Efficiency Alliance (KEEA)
- Philadelphia Energy Authority
- City of Pittsburgh Sustainability Commission
- Sustainable Energy Fund
To this end, these organizations are developing a set of Program Guidelines for the state. Although the Philadelphia Energy Authority is positioned to be the Program Administrator for Philadelphia, they are committed to working with the other stakeholders to develop program guidelines that are similar to those that will be available state-wide. Sustainable Energy Fund is positioned to be the nonprofit Program Administrator for the rest of the state.
To gather input on the Program Guidelines 175+ stakeholders were invited to a series of meetings to discuss the details of C-PACE in Pennsylvania. The meetings were held in October in three locations throughout the state. Details for these meetings are available at:
- C-PACE Stakeholder Meeting Pittsburgh
- C-PACE Stakeholder Meeting Philadelphia
- C-PACE Stakeholder Meeting Harrisburg
Timeline for implementation:
- October 2018: Hold a series of stakeholder meetings to inform the development of Program Guidelines
- November/December 2018: Solicit comments on draft Program Guidelines
- December/January 2018/9: Finalize Program Guidelines for Pennsylvania C-PACE
- January/February 2019: Begin outreach to counties about C-PACE and adopt resolutions and program guidelines needed to initiate the program.